Sunday, January 25, 2009

I was planning on continuing my day-by-day job updates -- really I was -- but the realization that blogging about the stress was only adding to the stress has made me decide to avert topics.  At least temporarily.  

I find it hard to believe that I'm not starting school tomorrow.  This is the first time in seventeen years that I have not experienced a first day of school.  It makes me dizzy with a surge of mixed emotions.  I wish I could let it feel good.  No homework, no dull introductory lectors, no awkward experiences when looking for my classes.  But, sadly for me, I like school.  I like having goals to work toward, the constant sponging of knowledge, projects to submerge myself in, and the perpetual feeling that I'm working toward something that might some day make a difference.  Maybe, after great lengths of time, I'll grow nostalgic about work, but right now, I miss school.

As a highly sentimental person (I have little shame in outright admitting this), firsts have always been hugely special to me.  Along the same vain of thought, so have lasts.  And I suppose, in piecing it all together, the outpouring of sentiment that change evokes, makes me highly nostalgic in times of transition.  So perhaps it's not really school that I'm missing; in fact, recollecting my chronic "senioritis" just over a month ago, I can almost guarantee that's not the case.  Honestly, I think I'm feeling sentimental toward the change in my life.  In a sense, I think I'm grieving the loss of college.  Really, what I need to do is embrace adulthood, because being a "working-woman" is good.  Here's a meager, fairly un-vibrant list to prove it:

-No homework -- blah.
-On a better note: no busywork.
-A paycheck.
-Money for bills, entertainment, travel and lovely purchases (or more education).
-Cool work clothes (well I suppose that's a matter of perspective, I mean if you're a police officer wearing a uniform may or may not seem cool to you.)
-Stress free weekends.
-Benefits: paid vacation, health insurance ... common', how is that not alluring.
-Respect.  Adults usually generate more respect from society.
-Stability.  This one is debatable.

As is evident -- why grieve the loss of college?  As is also evident -- I posted about something similar to jobs.  I guess my attempt to avert in subject matter was unsuccessful.  

No comments: