Wednesday, January 21, 2009

As of lately I have been unemployed.  Yes, incase of any confusion from the last statement, I am completely and utterly jobless; my income is zero.  Being unemployed, though rarely impressive to say about yourself in really any conversation, does have its perks.

Being a jobless citizen I first and foremost have the luxury of being a statistic.  I am, in its essence, aiding in Obama's moral for change by upping the unemployment rate, hence heightening the incentive for that very change.  Secondly, on a much more personal level, being unemployed allows me the luxury of doing whatever it is that I want.  I, of course, am encouraged to fill my days with mindless job searching (which much of the time I do) but job searching can really start at 8 a.m. or 4 p.m; essentially job searching can mold around my sleeping schedule whatever way I please it to.  Then there are social engagements, no longer am I too busy for my friends (a lot that I have suffered for the majority of my life), as of now I'm so available, that really, if someone wants to hang out at 3 a.m. two hours away, why shouldn't I be game?  (Granted they pay for gas money, seeing that being jobless would imply that I also have no money.)  

Sure I could fill my time with educational novels, self-betterment podcasts, and potentially successful novel writing, but believe it or not, being unemployed -- the very thought of being unemployed -- leaves less time for the arts than one might think.  Really, the very thought of attending a job fair is enough to take up at least a week of creativity.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, so rant over.  I suppose I'm just hyperbolizing in a slightly satirical fashion the last month of unemployment.  Deep down I know God has a plan for me, and really, I should look at this post-grad time as a blessing more than anything.  It's just so terribly hard when you've spent your whole life somewhat atop the academic float, then suddenly your wallowing in success-less-ness.  I guess it's a good lesson to be had, and I'm eager to see where God brings me next.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

HAHA!! I'll listen to some self-help podcasts with you!

I do kinda like that you're unemployed, in the sense that we can always have breakfast together. But I have yet to see the fruits of this "I'm game for ANYTHING" rhetoric. You better not cancel on the girls night!