Saturday, January 31, 2009

Unravel:

1 a: to disengage or separate the threads of : b: to cause to come apart by or as if by separating the threads of.2: to resolve the intricacy, complexity, or obscurity of : clear up. 
3. to free from complication or difficulty; make plain or clear; solve: to unravel a situation; to unravel a mystery.
4.to take apart; undo; destroy.

~Unravel is an interesting word.  It describes resolution, while it also depicts destruction.  It can be both a good word and a bad word, but something about unravel seems so freeing.

I'm listening to Explosions In The Sky, "So Long, So Lonesome" (introduced to me by Eric), and the song makes me think of unraveling.  I imagine a tightly woven ribbon intricately twisted together, and the wind is tearing at it, in a sense destroying its structured beauty, then soon it's long strands of loose ribbon dancing in the wind.  It's a mess.  It's initial order is everywhere.  But it's free.  It's free and it's beautiful.

Are we meant to be unraveled?  Certainly we can be destroyed; though I am confident destruction isn't what we were made for.  What about solved, or free from complication or difficulty?  Undone?  Like the ribbon wildly waving in the wind, can we ever let our form and order go?  I suppose not.  I suppose we wouldn't really want to.  But I still like thinking about the ribbon twisting apart.



No comments: