Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The grocery store.  I love -- LOVE -- the grocery store.  I love buying all sorts of food, finding great deals, and going home and creating something.  I would almost go as far as to say browsing the grocery store is relaxing.  Though maybe the root of this love is seeded in the fact that i love to cook.

Mainly cooking appeals to me because it's something that I am able to do and almost always makes other people happy.  Who doesn't want a meal cooked for them?  I also enjoy cooking because I like the creativity involved.  There's really nothing quite like discovering a new recipe.  I especially love recipes that remind me of people.

My grandma has been working on a recipe book for me for quite sometime now, and I love looking at all the recipes.  The recipes, as cheesy as it may sound, are potential good times to come.  They are ways to feed hungry people in my life, and the meals the recipes create are times to connect and talk with people I care about.

Recently I have been really into discount grocery shopping.  Yesterday, in an attempt to avoid buying bread, I decided to bake it myself.  The result, due to lack of yeast, turned out to be the most humiliatingly large biscuit I've personally ever seen.  It tasted decent though, and baking bread will definitely save me money.  Then today I took a roommate's advice and visited the 98 cents store.  There, I was able to buy the amount of food that at Albertson's would cost at least a hundred dollars for only 21 bucks!  Perhaps you're thinking, "nasty, 98 cents store food."  That's what I initially thought.  But I just bought things that are overpriced at other places that really don't need to be purchased for expensive prices.  One really can't beat less than a dollar each for olive oil, teriyaki sauce, cake/pancake mix, various spices, etc.  I was literally in a "saving state of bliss."

I suppose my love of grocery shopping and cooking is a bit dorky, but I don't care, it's honestly really fun.  

1 comment:

Laura said...

As a fellow grocery store (and cooking) lover, I thoroughly enjoyed this post. If you come up with any great recipes in all your experimentation, please send them my way!